What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is based on the scientific fact that your nerve system controls the function of every, cell, tissue, organ and system of your body. Your nerve system consists of your brain, spinal cord and all the nerves of your body. In essence, Chiropractic is the science, art and philosophy that concerns itself with the relationship between the nerve system and the function (health) of your body.
While the brain is protected by the skull, the spinal cord is much more vulnerable, covered by 24 movable vertebra. When these bones loose their normal position they can irritate the nerve system, disrupting nerve flow from the brain to the body resulting in Heart Disease, Cancer, Diabetes and virtually any other disease. This interruption to the flow of intelligence is known as Vertebral Subluxation and is one of the most devastating and destructive problems you can ever have in your body!
When a Subluxation is located, the chiropractors job is to use a carefully directed and controlled pressure to restore the misaligned vertebra back to its proper position. This procedure is called an “adjustment” and is usually painless, most of the time feels really good. The purpose of the adjustment is to restore normal neurological function allowing the body’s inborn ability to heal itself.
What truly differentiates doctors of chiropractic from any other healthcare professional is the fact that chiropractors are the only healthcare professionals trained and qualified to diagnose and correct Vertebral Subluxations.
While most people think of mainly “pinched nerves,” there are actually five components that make up the Vertebral Subluxation Complex (VSC).
- Bone Component-where the vertebra is either out of position, not moving properly, or are undergoing degeneration. This frequently leads to a narrowing of the spaces between the bones through which the nerves pass; often resulting in irritation or impingement of the nerve itself.
- Nerve Component-is the disruption of the normal flow of energy along the nerve fibers, causing the messages traveling along the nerves to become distorted. The result is that all of the tissues that are fed by those nerves receive distorted signals from the brain and, consequently, are not able to function normally. Over time, this can lead to a whole host of conditions, such as peptic ulcers, constipation and other organ system dysfunction.
- Muscular Component-since nerves control the muscles that help hold the vertebrae in place, muscles have to be considered to be an integral part of the vertebral subluxation complex. In fact, muscles both affect, and are affected by the VSC. A subluxation can irritate a nerve, the irritated nerve can cause a muscle to spasm, the spasmed muscle pulls the attached vertebrae further out of place, which then further irritates the nerve and you have a vicious cycle. It is no wonder that very few subluxations just go away by themselves.
- Soft Tissue Component-the VSC will also affect the surrounding tendons, ligaments, blood supply, and other tissues as the misaligned vertebrae tug and squeeze the connective tissue with tremendous force. Over time, the soft tissues can become stretched out or scarred, leaving the spine with either a permanent instability or restriction.
- Chemical Component-is the change in the chemistry of the body due to the VSC. Most often, the chemical changes, such as the release of a class of chemicals called “kinins,” are pro-inflammatory; meaning that they increase inflammation in the affected area.
These degenerative changes get progressively worse over time if they are not treated correctly, lead to chronic pain, inflammation, arthritis, muscle damage, bone spur formation, loss of movement, as well as muscle weakness and spasm. The most life threatening problems occur due to the destructive damage done to the organ systems from loss of nerve control! Chiropractors have known the dangers of the vertebral subluxation complex for well over 100 years. More and more scientific research is demonstrating the tremendous detrimental impact that subluxations have on the organ systems of the body.
In order to be truly healthy, it is vital that your nervous system be functioning free of interference from Subluxations. Chiropractors are the only health professionals trained in the detection, location, and correction of the Vertebral Subluxation Complex through chiropractic care. Corrective Chiropractic care is absolutely essential to the development of young children and should begin at birth and continue throughout life.
You take care of your teeth all your life, and you can live without them, but you cannot live without your spine!
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ...
- The popular British diet called “The Fast Diet”...
Tweets by @DrNickSudano